Monday, June 17, 2019

Psalm 64

Psalms 64:1 <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy.
2 Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity:
3 Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words:
4 That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not.
5 They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them?
6 They search out iniquities; they accomplish a diligent search: both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart, is deep.
7 But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded.
8 So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon themselves: all that see them shall flee away.
9 And all men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider of his doing.
10 The righteous shall be glad in the LORD, and shall trust in him; and all the upright in heart shall glory.

This short psalm struck me as I considered the words vs things going on in this nation today. While one might wonder if this psalm is prophetic. Indeed it is but not in the manner you are likely thinking.

Prophesy is two-fold. Prophesy is forthtelling and foretelling. Forthtelling shines God's light on current events. One must only open the eyes to see the truth of the matter. Foretelling, of course, reveals some future event. Some biblical prophesies accomplish both.

This verse could well be both. Even so this does not mean it foretold of things occurring today. More accurately, I see the words here as an insight into the nature of man, as true today as it was when it was first written. That is enough for me.

Reading these words, I take comfort knowing my Heavenly Father is aware of these “secret” dealings and in the confidence He will deal with those evil ones when the time comes. When will this be? I don't know. It is not for me to say. Every day I see some of these snares exposed. Some, I expect will remain hidden. Those who smirk at the idea that they “got away” with it may have the biggest surprise of all.

My purpose for writing this is not to gloat – now or ever. What I am saying is be patient in these troubling times and trust God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but subject to approval. You need not agree to be approved but you should show respect to others.